- This event has passed.
Aquatic Ecology Field Academy
July 21, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - July 26, 2019 @ 12:00 pm
Get a taste of what it’s like to be an aquatic ecology field technician! You’ll get hands-on experience in water-resource management through Northland’s Mary Griggs Burke Center for Freshwater Innovation. Northland’s faculty and Burke Center interns will train you in the critical skills of aquatic ecology, from using professional water testing equipment, conducting stream discharge measurements, to discussions of ecological climate change adaptations and watershed restoration. You will wade inland waters to investigate lake ecology and identify macro invertebrates. Develop leadership, teamwork, and boat safety skills, and learn laboratory safety procedures in Northland’s Applied Research and Environmental Lab.
Students’ field time can range from six to ten hours and could include lengthy exposure to sunlight, insects, and weather elements. Students can expect to walk up to two miles on uneven terrain and learn in a variety of environments. They will spend their evenings at Forest Lodge Educational Campus in Cable, Wisconsin. Housing is bunk style. All students will help cook and clean throughout their stay.
Scholarships are available for this program.
- Dates: July 21-26, 2019
- Grades: Incoming 10 – 12 (incoming 9 grader? Contact us at 715-682-1223 or firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Location: Northland College campus and Forest Lodge in Cable, WI
- Program: Water chemistry, stream measurement, ecology, technician skill training, campfires, boating
- Meals: All food included. Please specify dietary needs at registration.
- Drop off/Pick up: Sunday at 12 pm/Friday at 12 pm at Northland College
- Cost: $575 without credit // $850 1-credit (NRS 106)
Find everything you need to prepare in our high school summer handbook!