Take advantage of maple syrup season this year and utilize the fresh maple syrup in your own chapstick. DIY chapstick offers you the opportunity to be creative, while making a functional cosmetic!
- 5g | 0.17oz beeswax
- 4g | 0.14oz cocoa butter
- 3g | 0.1oz virgin coconut oil
- 4g | 0.14oz sweet almond oil
- 2g | 0.07oz soy lecithin
- 4g | 0.14oz dark (grade B or C, or “grade A dark”) maple syrup
- Weigh the beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, soy lecithin, and syrup out into a heat resistant glass measuring cup. Place the measuring cup in a small saucepan of barely simmering water to melt everything through.
- Once everything has melted, remove the measuring cup from the water and dry it off. Begin whisking the mixture and continue whisking as it cools.
- When the mixture is thoroughly emulsified and has cooled it to room temperature you can use a silicone spatula to scrape the lip balm into some wee jars or tins—the recipe makes about 20mL (2/3 oz) of lip balm, so I filled one 15mL (half ounce) glass jar and then a 5mL tin.